Wednesday, March 12, 2008

The Event That Was

Last weekend highlighted one of our country's major event- the election. Although I have turned 21 years old more than a year ago, I haven't got myself together to register as a voter. I had tonne of naggings from my mother telling me what an irresponsible citizen I was, but I ignored completely. I believe, like many other youngsters, my "dont' care" attitude about the election bothered my parents much. But to me, I personally felt that it did not matter me at all.

If voting was a form of democracy in the country, thus, I felt it was also my democracy right not to vote. My parents aside, Yeow was another pain in my as*. It was clear how his vote would have went and he tried to influence me with his decision. I felt that I was not completely wrong not to vote this election.

I must say that post election, made me felt completely different about how I thought about the nation's election. They always said every vote counts-which I did not really believed in. Until the moment the unofficial results were released, I still feel the same. I got taken a back the next morning when I received text messages from my Dad, informing me that BN had lost 5 states including Selangor. I was assured that everything was fine at home and not to worry about them :) David's review and opinion about the election was one of the factors which changed my mind too. The votes across the region was no more like the classical "racial" voting system anymore. In fact, people just want to vote for the opposition regardless whether it was DAP, PAS, Keadilan and so forth. It is a real classic which HIT me right at my face and I vow to register myself as soon as the registration opens just in case, I would definitely want to exercise my rights as a Malaysian too!

4 comments:

keeyit said...

Is ok.. I missed one election too.. So this time is my first time too.. ;)

http://www.keeyit.com

chelsea said...

:) looks like we're all the same after all :) ur first election this year? ;)

narrowband said...

I'm really happy to know my blog had influenced you and the way you think, in some ways. This is an example. And yes, you ought to register yourself for the next one, ok? ;)

chelsea said...

[narrowband]
Yes! And like I've told you before, I admire the way you could express yourself on Narrowband.org :) Could literally "feel" it.

I will... I definitely will register myself :)